Adam Kaplin, M.D., Ph.D.
Chief Scientific Officer
Research & Publications
- Investigating the biological basis of depression and cognitive impairment in autoimmune CNS diseases, such as Multiple Sclerosis.
- Developing novel treatments for depression that prevent the potential suicidality that has been associated with SSRIs and led to their black box warning.
- Testing a novel treatment for cognitive impairment in MS by first testing it in an animal model of MS (i.e., experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis).
- Developing a bioassay to predict responses in the use of high-dose cyclophosphamide, which has shown unprecedented results in restoring function and stopping disease activity in pilot studies in MS.
- Developing a novel technology to monitor patients’ subjective mental phenomena (e.g., mood, anxiety, pain, sleep) in the outpatient setting.
- Development and testing of an automated mHealth system to study suicide crisis interventions and link individuals to care.
- Review Editor, Frontiers in Neurology, Frontiers in Neuroscience and Frontiers in Psychiatry, 2019
- Scientific and Medical Advisor on CBT for MS Project, Pear Therapeutics, 2017
- Founding Medical Advisor; Member of Board of Advisors, Cure Addiction Now, 2017
- Medical Advisor, Memotext, 2016
- Medical Advisor, MS Cure Project, 2015
- Steering Committee Member, Johns Hopkins University Global mHealth Initiative (JHU-GmI), 2014
- Board of Scientific Advisors, Apellis Pharmaceutical, 2014
- Board of Advisors, Crisis Text Line, 2013
- Board of Scientific Advisors, Anthrotronix, 2012
- Board of Medical Advisors, Remedy Health, 2008
- Scientific and Medical Advisor, Nancy Davis Center Without Walls MS Foundation, 2005
- Board Member and Chief Scientific Advisor, Cody Unser First Step Foundation, 2005
- Faculty Member, Member of the Scientific Advisory Council and Operating Committee, Johns Hopkins Project RESTORE, 2004
- Chairman of Scientific Advisory Board, Montel Williams MS Foundation, 2003
- Medical Advisory Board Member, International Transverse Myelitis Association, 2002
Wang M, Kaplin AI. “Explaining naltrexone’s interference with ketamine’s antidepressant effect.” Am J Psychiatry. 2019 May;176:5
Hollinger KR, Alt J, Rais R, Kaplin AI, Slusher BS. “The NAAG’ing concerns of modeling human Alzheimer’s disease in mice.” J Alzheimers Dis. 2019;68(3):939-945
Kalmbach DA, Fang Y, Arnedt JT, Cochran AL, Deldin PJ, Kaplin AI, Sen S. “Effects of sleep, physical activity, and shift work on daily mood: A prospective mobile monitoring study of medical interns.” J Gen Intern Med. 2018 Jun;33(6):914-920
Hollinger KR, Woods SR, Adams-Clark A, Choi SY, Franke CL, Susukida R, Thompson C, Reti IM, Kaplin AI. “Defense automated neurobehavioral assessment accurately measures cognition in patients undergoing electroconvulsive therapy for major depressive disorder.” J ECT. 2018 Mar;34(1):14-20
Pinto MD, Greenblatt AM, Williams BL, Kaplin AI. “Exploring the mechanism of the clinical encounter on depressive symptoms in young adults: A path analysis.” Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2017 Jul;38(7):533-539
Recent News Articles and Media Coverage
Paxil Unsafe for Teenagers, KCSW,
People with Paralysis Explore Therapeutic Effects of Scuba Diving, Washington Post, Sept. 15, 2014
Apps for Mastering Your Mood, Time, July 18, 2013
Sharing Psychiatric Records Helps Care, New York Times, Jan. 7, 2013
How Keeping Psych Records Too Private Can Hurt Patient Care, Time, Jan. 7, 2013
Clues in the Cycle of Suicide, New York Times, June 24, 2013
Apps Alert the Doctor When Trouble Looms, New York Times, Oct. 8, 2012
Scuba Diving Could Raise Hope for the Paralyzed, CBS News, Oct. 27, 2011
Scuba Diving May Hold Promise for Paraplegic, Baltimore Sun, Oct. 15, 2011